We are living in a fast paced world with the borders fading out and people moving around the globe. People from any part of the world might interact with you, work with you or stay with you. Can you be sure that you even know about the person you are connecting with? Gone are the days when you could place your trust in testimonials and personal references submitted by people. Nobody can trust anyone here without knowing their background. This brings in the importance of screening companies and their background verification services. Gone are the days when companies used to recruit employees without background checks. Gone are the days when landlords used to rent their properties without thinking twice. Everyone is doing their own homework and checking up with a background checking company for hiring employees or renting properties or even for checking background of their new neighbour.
The new millennium presents innovative ways one can do a background check without hurting the sentiments of any individual. When carrying out a background check it is essential to do so following the laws that govern public records and access to personal information. In general, a background check company entails investigation into a person or companies background to determine character, dependability, and financial standing.
While undertaking a background check keeps the following guidelines in mind:
1. The laws that govern the state or country where you are conducting the investigation is important. What is permissible in one place may be disallowed in another. Study these laws and conduct background check following these laws.
2. Be sure to obtain information like name, date of birth, unique identification number, and permanent address of the person or company under investigation.
3. Collect proper documentation from the customer. If any further documents are required, be clear about it and request for them.
4. Do a systematic search in databases or other sources always. Check personal details, followed by driving records, financial records, and criminal records. For employee related background checks, check education records and employment records.
5. Cross check the data reviewed as quality of check need to be maintained.
6. Do not violate data security laws and data privacy laws.
Any employment screening company must also follow these guidelines for smooth running of their business and due to the growing concerns of data security in this field.
Usually employers approach these companies to conduct employee background verification. Employers are worried about hiring the right candidates and filtering out the fake ones or even criminals. But employees believe background verification process to be an invasion in their personal life. This is a misunderstanding to be eradicated by employers and before conducting any verification, it is important to get the consent of employee as per the laws. Any violation in privacy found, can sue both the employee background screening company and the employer.
Even for individuals, this is a matter to be considered with proper care. Don’t hurt the sentiments or rights of any individual while conducting background verification on them. For example, if you conduct background verification on your tenant, caretaker, watchman, servant etc.
Background checks are viewed as pro-active risk management strategies. It is a question of protecting the self and business interests. The most commonly carried out checks include: verification of credentials like name and academic qualifications as well as employment; verification of personal references; health checks; performance and achievements; credit checks; and criminal record checks. A background check can make a difference between success and despair; it is an important tool that protects you, your family, and work.
Abhishek Sarswat is a blogger cum writer who likes to speak about safety and security issues. In free time, he loves to eat and travel.