From time to time, you may look up at your roof and notice dark, discoloured spots. While it’s not the most pleasant sight, it’s important to know what you’re dealing with and how to handle it best. Let’s get into the different types of stains you can find on your roof and how to address each one.
Identifying roof stains may seem daunting to the new homeowner, but don't worry! With a keen eye and a little detective work, you can quickly figure out what type of marks have appeared on your roof. Remember, some stains happen as part of the owner's regular maintenance routine, while others can cause alarm and require professional assistance. Your ability to quickly identify exactly what you're dealing with could make all the difference in keeping your roof in top-notch condition!
There are several ways to clean roof stains, and the best way to deal with them will depend on the specific type of stain and the material of your roof. Here are some common roof stains cause and some general information about how to deal with them:
1. Algae stains: Algae stains on roofs are usually black or dark green and appear as streaks on the top. These stains are caused by algae called Gloeocapsa magma, which thrives in moist, warm environments. To remove algae stains, use a solution of water and household bleach (1 part bleach to 3 parts water) and apply it to the affected area using a garden sprayer or a pressure washer.
2. Lichen stains: Lichen stains are caused by a combination of algae and fungi, and they appear as small, flat patches on the roof. These stains can be green, brown, or black and are often found in humid or shaded areas. To remove lichen stains, you can use a mixture of water and zinc sulphate, or you can purchase a lichen-specific cleaning product from a hardware store.
3. Moss stains: Moss stains are caused by moss growth on the roof, appearing as clumps of green or brown material. Moss grows in damp, shaded areas, often found on the north-facing side of a roof. To remove moss stains, you can use a solution of water and household bleach, or you can purchase a moss-specific cleaning product. You can also use a roof rake to physically remove the moss from the roof.
4. Rust stains: Rust stains are caused by the oxidation of metal surfaces, such as flashing or roof vents. These stains are usually orange or reddish-brown. To remove rust stains, you can use a rust-specific cleaning product or a mixture of water and oxalic acid.
5. Dirt and debris stains: Dirt and debris stains are caused by the accumulation of dirt, leaves, and other debris on the roof. These stains are often brown or black and may appear as streaks or patches on the roof. To remove dirt and debris stains, you can use a roof rake to remove the debris physically, or you can use a high-pressure hose to blast it off the roof.
Pressure roof cleaning services in Sydney are a great way to keep your home looking sharp and clean. A professional pressure cleaning company will be able to effectively remove dirt, grime, mould, and lichen from exterior surfaces such as roofs. This pressure washing can even prevent the need for costly repairs or replacements of those areas around your home down the track.
Cleaning your house roof in the summer can feel like a real chore, especially if you're planning on cleaning both colorbond and terracotta roofing. Why not take all the hassle out of it and leave the cleaning to the professionals? Not only do they have all the equipment needed for a thorough and efficient pressure cleaning of your roof, but with years of experience, you can be sure that your home's aesthetics won't go neglected.
As you can see, there are a variety of types of roof stains, and each requires different methods of treatment. Some treatments are simple and inexpensive, while others are more involved. But no matter what type of roof stain you have, it is vital to address it as soon as possible to prevent further damage to your roof. It's important to note that roof cleaning should be done carefully to avoid damaging the roofing material or causing any injuries. If you are not comfortable cleaning your roof yourself, it is best to hire a professional to do the job.
Pressure and Steam is a cleaning company in Sydney, offering effective cleaning tips for your home and business.